Saturday 5 July 2014

WELCOME FELLOW WRITERS!

 This is my first post, and I can hear you sighing already. 'Oh no, not another blog on HOW TO WRITE, or HOW TO GET PUBLISHED, or even HOW TO GET RICH.'

Well, yes actually. Perhaps not the getting rich part  as I haven't had that pleasure yet, although last year I found myself unintentionally on the first step of that ladder.

I've told this story before in an earlier blog, but it still makes me smile, and I hope it will make you smile too. I call it 'Erotica or Notica'.

If you've ever published through KDP, Amazon's Kindle publishing arm, you'll know that they ask you to choose a couple of categories and sub-categories for your book, eg Contemporary Fiction, Crime, Romance, Fantasy etc.


I was also planning to publish a book in the Children's Fiction section, I added a second category, Adult Fiction.  For some reason this translated into Erotica and within a week thousands of readers in the UK, USA and elsewhere had downloaded it and I had made a nice little packet. Not on a par with Fifty Shades, of course, but a pleasant surprise.

As there was barely more than a whiff of erotica in the story, I expect there must have been quite a few disappointed readers (and I apologise to them again,  but it was Not My Fault!)

The moral of all this meandering (and my first tip) is: GET YOUR CATEGORIES RIGHT. 

Next time: Why start at the beginning?


  


    No comments:

    Post a Comment