Sunday 17 May 2020

LET'S GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER



ME AND YOU


ME. I'm a writer. It's in my genes, although in a slightly corkscrewed way. Many of my ancestors were performers, musicians or artists, although as far as I'm aware none were writers. However, my great-great-grandfather was not only a performer but he composed and wrote songs, many of which are still performed and recorded today.. (Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye? Ten Thousand Miles From Home? Just a couple of the songs you might have heard). The lyrics may seem simple by today's measures but they're the only link to writing that I've discovered.

YOU. Having a certain combination of genes might set you off on the road to becoming an author but the rest is up to you. I won't deny that writing short stories or novels is hard slog. It can be exhausting, it can be anti-social, and it may lead to wearing specs and having an extra layer around your middle unless you have the strength of will to include an hour or two's exercise each day.

But the satisfaction, the exhilaration of creating and completing your first literary endeavour is something that only a few experiences can match (and which I'm not going to go into right now).

So, please, stick at it and meantime learn all you can from this blog and other writers' blogs, from how-to books and, best of all, from saturating yourself with other authors' novels.

Please feel free to comment, ask questions or seek advice. I'd love to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment