Thursday 26 February 2015

BOOKS FOR EARLY ONSET ALTZHEIMER'S PATIENTS AND THEIR CARERS

I see it's been proposed to make several books freely available to early onset Alzheimer's patients and their carers to enable them to cope with this tragic disease.

One of the books recommended is 'STILL ALICE', which has now been made into a film with Julianne Moore. 

I haven't seen the film but I did read the book, a beautiful and very moving novel by Lisa Genova, based on her own experience with patients.

However, I think it's the last book I personally would recommend, being deeply saddening and offering no hope as it carries the reader towards the inevitable ending.

A far better choice, I think, would be THE MEMORY BOOK by Rowan Coleman, with a similar main character, a teacher in her forties, also married and a mother.  

This equally beautiful novel is full of tips, practical and ingenious, on how to manage the downward spiral, yet at the same time it's full of humour, love and optimism.I recommend it to any readers who find themselves caught in this terrible situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment